Monday, December 5, 2011

So I've had quite a week! From being transferred to a snowy town up in the mountains to finding out I have a disease.  I'll Start with transfers. :) I have been transferred from the desert of Hesperia to the thick forests of running springs. Running springs is beautiful. It looks over all of San Bernardino and I can even see the LA skyline off in the distance. Driving up there was quite an experience as I saw something I hadn't seen for a long time.. SNOW! I will be seeing and shoveling a lot of that by the time I am out of here. Thanks for asking I did say driving! My new Companion Elder Brown and I are driving a 2011 Jeep Compass! These are the newest vehicle installments in the mission and three months in I am driving one in one of the most coveted areas in the mission!  Running Springs is just a short drive from Lake Arrowhead where they pull water for Arrowhead Drinking Water. Around the lake reminds me of Christmas Town on A Nightmare before Christmas! My Christmas is should be as good as it gets without family, so it could be worse. :) I received a wonderful box of presents from my family and some very chritmassy things from the Holloways (I feel loved). Elder Brown is a smart guy who has been out for 21 months! There is a lot that I can learn from him. Combined with my three months together we make one whole mission! Anyway we are "white washing" in to this are so we are still trying to find our way around. So you are probably wondering about the disease I found out that I suffer from. No this isn't a Joke or a Segway into some metaphorical lesson on missionary work. I am a part of the 0.1 percent of the population who suffer from cluster headaches. This past week has been full an incessant pain and sleepless nights. I being one who has never suffered from headaches in the least, thought it would be wise to ask someone about the constant headache which I have been experiencing. I explained my symptoms to our missions Doctor, who recognizing that they are not Migraine Headaches diagnosed with having Cluster headaches.  He then informed me that these are considered to be one of the more severe headaches. At the peak of pain Ibuprofen doesn't touch it despite how much I have upped the dose. I am currently on Excedrin, which due to the caffeine content also keeps me quite awake at night. Now in my latest research of this issue I have found out that the medical community has nicknamed this the "suicide headache". (so comforting :) Dr. Peter Goadsby, Professor of Clinical Neurology at University College London a leading researcher on the condition has commented: "Cluster headache is probably the worst pain that humans experience. I know that’s quite a strong remark to make, but if you ask a cluster headache patient if they’ve had a worse experience, they’ll universally say they haven't. Women with cluster headache will tell you that an attack is worse than giving birth. So you can imagine that these people give birth without anesthetic once or twice a day, for six, eight, or ten weeks at a time, and then have a break. It's just awful." I am grateful that my case has thus far proven to be mild but I fear it has the potential of being monstrous down the road. In my research of the triggers that cause these spurts of pain they say that one trigger could be Cocaine, and one of the others could be elevation change.  I think I'm going to account it this headache attack to me going up the mountain and not illegal drugs.:) Anyway I'm done whining. Because of my brothers I have a need from my childhood for attention when it comes to medical needs. As far as I'm concerned they can keep the attention.:) (Love you guys:) Well P-day was moved to Wednesday so we could have a chance to go to the Redlands Temple. That always is such a spiritual rejuvenation and the Cafe Rio afterwards isn't to bad either. :) Tonight my Family is going to Hawaii. don't have too much fun without me. :) Keep me in your Prayers (I feel like Paul, to glory in tribulation).

No comments:

Post a Comment